1. Almonds and Walnuts – Contains magnesium, tryptophan and melatonin, which help promote sleep. Try eating a handful an hour or so before bed.
2. Oatmeal – Has plenty of sleep-promoting nutrients, like magnesium, potassium calcium and phosphorous. Eat as a snack before bedtime.
3. Raspberries and Tart Cherries – Has melatonin which helps induce sleep.
4. Bananas – Loaded with potassium and magnesium which make bananas an excellent natural muscle relaxer. It also contains tryptophan, the same amino acid that gives turkey its famous sleep-inducing reputation.
Foods that Negatively Impact Sleep:
1. Citric Fruits – Grapefruit, lemons, oranges, and other fruit juices may give you heartburn and prevent you from sleeping. Refrain from eating them at least a few hours before bedtime.
2. Celery, Ginger, Parsley – Although these are healthy, it is a diuretic which means you could end up going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and disrupt your sleep. Avoid eating celery at night.
3. Greasy and Fried Foods – Eating greasy and fried foods cause our stomach to work extra hard to digest the stuff, and can lead to indigestion and heart burn. It’s fine to indulge in calorie-rich foods every once in a while, but try NOT to do so at least 3 hours before you go to sleep.
4. Spicy Foods including spices – Takes a toll on your stomach.